Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the film

Having read the book quite a long time ago, I was aware of the story in general. I’d also heard that the film tells the story better than the book. Well I’m not going to agree or disagree with that. One reaction to the film is that it is too long, I can’t agree with that, but its best if I’m not the judge because the Lord of the Rings films also received the same response from some. If you have a good story and it takes 157 minutes to tell so be it. It is a good story, a very good story. In the film it is well told, and the interaction between the characters gives you a good understanding of what’s going on. I particularly like the ball for this. The special effects were superb, as usual and the ideas from the book were well portrayed. So a very enjoyable film, well worth the extra booking fee that the cinema charges.

Only one or two little niggles - Rupert Grint (Ron) just looked too grown up in a couple of scenes. Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore) just didn’t have the sympathetic approach of the character in the book.

No comments: