Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Provocative Church

The Provocative Church
Graham Tomlin
SPCK
ISBN 0-281 05476-2
The book at Amazon.co.uk

This is another book I have to read for my training course. Its is such a good title, I've always believe that the church should be noticeable, challenging, and something that people would look at and like or dislike. Jesus was not the sort of person people ignored – so His church should be like Him. With expectations nicely set I open the book. The first chapter is about evangelism. Hmmm, not quite what I was expecting, but interesting nevertheless. The book continues, with chapters like “King the Kingdom, the Book” and “Evangelism makes me feel guilty” and “Transforming communities”. Its all good common sense stuff, it reminds me of lots of the things I thought Christianity should be when I was first a Christian. There's lots more, and one or two practical examples as well. Most importantly this book comes across as open and honest. For example "Digging beneath the surface of many even apparently successful churches, it doesn't take long to discover a common feeling that our Christianity occupies a parallel universe from the rest of our lives. And the effect on evangelism is huge, as it eventually leaves Christians bored, frustrated and going through the motions. And if that's all Christian life is, then out of kindness to their non-Christian friends, they quietly ignore all the well-intentioned pleas to bring them to church." That of course is not what Christian life should be. Christian life should be different, and the hows and whys are both discussed. So if you really don't want to live a 'provocative' life – or at least be made to think about why and how – then leave this book on the shelf.

Otherwise I recommend you pick it up and read it, go on give it a try.....

No comments: