Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Friday, November 06, 2009

Origins & Lemons, Riding Lights at Christ Church

As I walked into church I was greeted enthusiastically by my ever so slightly sarcastic daughter.  "May I take your ticket, sir?"  The church was already filling up, and was full of the warm red glow that we get with all the overhead radiant fires on.  I must be careful where I sit, or my head will be grilled.  Forced to sit in the back half because the front was already full, I chose a centre seat near the aisle.  Some one big immediately sat in front of me, but it didn't matter. At the front of church at raised stage took the Riding Lights Theatre Company players high enough to be easily seen.  We were promised a review sub-titled extracting the juice from Genesis 1-11.

Right from the off we were in the midst of the science vs. religion debate. Each short sketch covering one or more of the points of the debate.  Each with a punch line, and next to no gap between sketches.  There is barely time to laugh, let alone think seriously about the points being made.  While we don't have too many fundamentalists, or too many liberals, I had wondered just what the target of the debate would be.

In the introduction the song oranges and lemons was used to ask the questions.  We were promised a look at all of Genesis 1-11 - except perhaps the bits were relatives are listed.  At various time we were in a school room, or on the Ark with Captain Noah and his crew - Ham, Shem and Japheth, in IKEA or in the garden of Eden with Adam and God, Adam and Eve, Eve and a snake, Adam and Eve and a bouncer.  All good stuff and often very funny.  I had read reviews that suggested there was a Monty Python'ish flavour.  There certainly was when we came to the Nephilim.  Arguments among the cast, blackouts, and multiple attempts by the Nephilim to get some nookie!  This was by far the funniest sketch of the evening.  We ended with Noah sharing his home-made wines with Darwin.

Riding Lights as always are brilliant and never to be missed.

Get a flavour of it here:

No comments: