Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Free FLV Converter ** Warning **

It's very easy to capture video's from Youtube using FireFox and the Flashgot add-on. Now we have a decent projector, I can use video clips, but playing .FLV's (Flash Video's) is not the easiest thing to to.  For personal use VLC is great, but these have to go on the secondary screen and the controls have to be somewhere else.  I wanted something to convert the FLV's to something more useful, something my projections software has a chance of playing.  I admit, this was the first thing I found.

It installed with a Toolbar "Dealio" - but this one insists on installing and doesn't give you the option not to.  OK, as soon as the install was finished, I uninstalled it.  I'm not sure if its a problem (malware) or not (google search results), but I don't want it simply because I am forced to have it.  Well OK, I want the free software, but there are other methods of supporting free software.  I downloaded it from CNET - a site I have come to trust, but one which I will be treating with much greater caution that previously.

Here's why:  Free FLV Converter (or was it Dealio) also installed a Browser Helper Object (BHO) called SearchSettings.dll and ApplicationUpdate.dll - which I can't find much on..I have Scotty keeping watch - nothing much gets past him.  Prevention is better than cure, so when he barked, I did not allow the change, and began to investigate.  The uninstalls seemed to remove the offending programs, but there will be a Spybot and Ad-Aware scan later - just to be certain.


Free FLV Converter itself is simple to use, here are some results for just one file. The source file size is 3237Kb:
To Type
File Size
(Kb)
Windows Media Player
VLC
avi
6546
Video OK, no sound
Video and sound OK
mp4
10336
Video and sound OK
Video and sound OK
wmv
6886
Video OK, no sound
Video and sound OK

I have Windows Vista with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

You may already know this, but VLC can be used quite well on dual screens on Windows, just a bit fiddly to set up.
Tools->Preferences.
Select: Show settings "All", bottom left.
In Video section:
Tick Fullscreen video output
Untick Embedded video.

Expand the video section tree, and go to Output modules. and choose output module DirectX.
Expand the Output modules, and in the Direct X section "Name of desired display device" choose DISPLAY2.

You'll need to then save the preferences and exit and restart VLC again to pick up the changes.
The controls will now be on the main screen, and the video should* display on the second full screen.

It even has Filter which allows the output to be "clone"d to both displays, but this is even more fiddly to setup.

*For some reason it didn't work on one PC I tried it on, but had no probs everywhere else.

Pete said...

Thanks for the information, I'll give it a try

Pete said...

The instructions for VLC on an external screen work. Well, sort of.
The fullscreen option only appears on 'Simple', and is not saved!
However, The separate window I now get can be moved to the external screen and maximised. Then I'm just left with the windows title bar - it'll do for now.