Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Eight Bells and Top Masts: Diaries from a Tramp Steamer

by Christopher Lee

published: April 2nd 2002 by Headline Review (first published 2001)


isbn 0747264201
 
Initially I had a problem with this book. The style is off-putting. The diary entries are interspersed with commentary. The commentary refers to the person writing the diary as 'the lad'. I know when I look back at myself 35 years ago I'm not the same person, but actually I am. The Lad, the author growing up, on his first job chose to work on a tramp steamer as the era of the tramp steamer was ending, to be replaced by containers and bulk carriers. It is (eventually) an engaging tale of growing up, and the diary entries show the development and growth of character as the story progresses. 
There's the drama of life aboard, brief visits ashore and the problems of living in very close quarters with strangers.  
This type of life can no longer be experienced so it is a view into another world. The author should have been out of place in this world with his bright observations, but he wasn't and we benefit from that.
The book ends with a few pages on the history of British Shipping - very interesting, but I would have preferred a postscript on what the lad did next.

No comments: