Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Monday, December 27, 2010

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I'm assuming that you all know the story, so if you don't see the film (or better, read the book) then return.

My recent experiences of Cinema attendance meant that it was quite a long time since I was last at a Film Theatre.  We again attended the 'Empire' in Basildon.  It was not quite as bad, still popcorn on the floor. How about not filling the buckets to overflowing?  Being boxing day there were not that many people there.  No box office either, so if you went without credit/debit cards you would not have got in!  We had deliberately avoided the 3D option.  Screen 8 is an odd shaped theatre.  I must have been in it before but I don't remember the screen seeming to be set at an angle, so the right side is further away than the left side - a very strange experience, especially during the sailing scenes.

The film itself was better than the cinema experience.  A long time ago I read the book and my memories of the story are not that clear. Eustace I remember, and the general plot, but Eustace as a dragon I don't.  However, Will Poulter who plays Eustace is undoubtedly the star of the show.  I began to dis-like him almost immediately. Watching his transformation from a horrid little boy always relying on his doting parents to someone of more mature character, indeed even courageous was the best part of the film.  The cause of the change is 'the annoying glass is always half full person', as he is described by Eustace, of Reepicheep.  An animated mouse, voiced by Simon Pegg, whose tail was given to him by Aslan.  Which brings me to the special effects.  Always unobtrusive they, in many ways, bring the film to life, but that is what they are for - magic can only occur this way.  I'd like to know how real the Dawn Treader was.  If it was part of the special effects it was VERY good.  Some were a little tired though.  When the invisible mansion appears, it seems to build itself, like so many reconstructions of the Colosseum or similar ancient building you may watch a documentary on.

The story is better, on film, than Prince Caspian - much better.  It moves at a constant pace, sometimes forgetting to pause for thought as we move from island to island and closer to the source of all evil.  It does though slow for the final (well until the last book) goodbye to Narnia for the Pevensy Children, and also the parting of Reepicheep and Eustace.

The story has a clear Christian basis and this is not eroded by the film.  The morals are still there, some easier to see than others, but all still intact.

My verdict: Well worth a visit to the cinema to see it.

No comments: