Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Through Faith Missions training weekend

On Friday I took a half day's holiday.  I packed a rucksack with way more than I needed and headed to the train station to meet Warner.  We were on our way to Woking to attend the Through faith missions training weekend for Walk West Dorset.  My agenda was slightly different.  I just wanted to understand what it's all about.  There were two practical sessions in the training.  One was Pub Evangelism, the other was door knocking.  The polite way to put my feelings about taking part would be to say that I was well outside my comfort zone.  Very apprehensive. 
After a false start, I forgot my sleeping bag!, we made it to Woking in plenty of time.  A meal at the Wetherspoons was very welcome and then it was off to Christ Church in the town centre for the training event.  The church has rooms everywhere and is an ideal place for this type of event.  There were 25+ of us in the room over looking the worship space.  It was very comfortable - I wasn't.  Plenty of tea and coffee and a very interactive training session.  The clock ticks round and it was soon time to visit the pub - a process I usually look forward to.  We are kitted out with 'Walk of 1000 Men' t-shirts and sweatshirts.  As a novice - a first timer I was hoping to be paired with someone who had at least tried before. It was not to be.  We were completely incapable of approaching people and talking to them.  Eventually I buttonholed one of the more experienced guys and asked him to show me.  Not really much success there either.  The one of the leaders had a try.  He managed a two or three line conversation with someone - and then I did learn something - but only with time for reflection later.
Bed involved sleeping on the floor.  I had borrowed my daughters inflatable bed so I wasn't too uncomfortable.  Sleep though eluded me for a long time.  Too much to think and pray about.  When I did start to doze there was free unscripted entertainment outside.  Three times that happened.  Then it was morning as day light began streaming through the roof even with the blinds down further sleep was impossible.
Breakfast was brought in by the local breakfast expert. Every church should have at least one!  I enjoyed it as you can tell.  Then more training, but this morning it was hard to concentrate after a poor night. 
Lunch was served in the church, by the cafe staff.  It was the first time for years I had eaten mince.  In the rush to book the weekend dietary requirements had been omitted.  I'm sure it was good, but I don't enjoy the taste as I used to.
Then to the door-to-door exercise.  We take a survey.  It is the warmest April day since ... records began.  Most people are out.  From about 20 houses we get 8 (I think) answers. A few are prepared to do the survey - two are from another local church.  Only one person got beyond the end. 
I'm not sure who was more nervous - us or the people we visited.
Reflecting on the experience now I have to ask if the results are a net positive. Does this approach put the people we visit under too much pressure? Are most the people we spoke to closer to making a commitment to Christ or further away?  Is this an effective way to turn people around? I feel for two of the people I spoke to in particular.  Jesus only put the leaders of the faith under pressure.  With everyone else He was very gentle.
I don't have answers.  If I ever get any I will, of course, blog about it. 
Some of the other training elements were very positive for me.  A chance to reflect on my testimony and see that it stops rather a long time ago was very useful.  A testimony that says nothing about the now needs updating.  There was also some practical training on schools work and the legal requirements that go with it which was very helpful.  Then there's the manual to read ...
Finally, there was the interview.  A check to see that the applicants are OK for the task they are being asked to do.  There is a rule of life to sign up to, which I had to stop and read (ALWAYS read the small print - especially when God's involved.).  I didn't have a problem signing that, it's pretty much how I try to live anyway.
So to the journey home.  By now its latish on Saturday.  By the time we get to Waterloo the Drain (Waterloo  & City line) has closed for the weekend.  Northern line trains aren't stopping at Tottenham Court Road (the next most obvious route), so its the Jubilee line to Stratford.   The journey home much less comfortable than the outward one.
My interviewer had warned me that if I decided to do a walk I would come under spiritual attack.  As I left the hall I had a pain in my right heel.  I didn't think much of it until I was walking home from Billericay Station.  Looking so see what was wrong I noticed blood on my sandals.  When I got home I found a spike about the thickness of a staple, but sharpened to a needle like point had gone through the sole of my sandals and had repeatedly scratched and penetrated my heel.  Very painful.  Reminded me of Genesis 3:15.

No comments: