Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Friday, October 03, 2014

Linvoy Primus at Forging Men

Now being a part of the organizing group, I arrived very early for the Linvoy Primus event.  I spent the first part of the evening getting my parts of the technology working and putting out chairs.  I spent the last part of the evening putting chairs away - there should be a specific ministry for chairs by now surely. 
The Forge had done a great job with the Man Sized Buffet.  I watched it being put out, and began to feel hungry.  People slowly began to arrive.  We had had a difficult time getting tickets sold, so I was wondering how many would turn up.  In the end it was around 48, although none of us counted, I am going by the vacant seats.

I have only a superficial interest in football.  If it hadn't been for my sons I would not have known that Linvoy Primus had been a Portsmouth player.  Then finding he had played in the Premiership I was wondering what to expect.  Premiership players are all grossly overpaid prima donnas aren't they?  I could hardly have been more wrong.  Linvoy arrived with a couple of friends from the days before he was a professional footballer.  He says that he is just an ordinary person whose job is playing football - that is exactly how he comes across.

We have had a number of talks from guys who have experienced the miraculous.  They have amazing stories of Gods providence, and miracles that delayed their arrival in heaven.  I love listening to the stories - present day miracles are important.  So that we can still see God working the way He always has.  BUT - they do not help me in my situation, neither do they help me to relate to what the speakers were going through - I have never experienced anything like it.

Linvoy was different, he talked about his career, the pressures, the disappointments and the successes.  He talked about the stresses and difficulties that he faced, and how his faith in the Lord Jesus helped him to get through the situations he was in.  He talked about the pressures he came under when he first believed and how his faith has slowly spread to others in the game.  His heart is dedicated to sharing his faith and he uses his fame to do just that.  He has been called 'the nicest bloke in football' apparently.  From what I saw, I could easily believe that was true. He stayed behind after his talk to chat to people until we had finished clearing up and the staff were expecting us to leave.

I enjoyed the evening very much,  I think he was the best speaker I have heard at Forging Men.  He made all the difficulties with planning worthwhile.

The Brentwood Gazette also covered the story, they interviewed Linvoy before the evening and the CVM guys e-mailed them photos.  As usual they did a good spread, sadly there doesn't appear to be anything on-line.

I had a great evening and would recommend that you hear Linvoy speak if you can.

No comments: