Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Friday, August 11, 2017

'Dunkirk' at the Rio, Burnham-on-Crouch

Where can you go in Essex to get two seats to see a current film, buy a large bar of fruit and nut and still have change from a tenner? Answer: The Rio in Burnham-on-Crouch. We didn't go there because it was cheep, we went because we had walked past it so often and wondered what it was like inside.  There are a choice of sofas and regular cinema seats and plenty of room between the rows.  We chose regular cinema seats.  It's a 1930's building and still has the feel of that era, I hope it doesn't change.  It's certainly worth a return visit.  No booking though - for the whole 1930's experience you have to queue!

So to the film.  Dinkirk (IMDB entry) is an unusual film.
There is no star to follow through the film, instead there are three stories, from three different points of view, and also through different time periods (1 hour, 1 week).  They are cut together in a rather odd way which seems to make them fit.  I have seen comments on the realism that the film portrays and undoubtedly it is made in such a way as to convey the danger and fear that must have been felt by those involved.  However, it lacks the horror of a film like 'Saving Private Ryan'.  The deaths that are shown (and there are very many) are all slightly sanitised - no body parts, just whole dead bodies.

At the beginning of the film and for more than the first half the main mood is hopelessness.  Everything that is tried to get the soldiers off the beach simply ends in more death and the loss of another destroyer.

The story of Dunkirk is one that I grew up with.  Both my parents were in WWII, and living in Southend-on-sea, the story was of cockleshell heroes.  The film is true to this at least (although the main 'little boat' does not come from Southend), the only real hero is the captain of that boat.  Many of the things he says sound to me like they come from genuine survivors.  I have read some critisism that there is a lack of empathy.  Maybe that is true, but I doubt it - the film certainly portrays the emotions that I have heard about - the enormous pride in being Britsh, the unerring sense of duty and, if necessary sacrifice, the determination above all else to be kind to those who have suffered - not by everyone, of course.  They are all there and are of their time.

I don't know how historically accurate it is, I haven't researched that yet, but there were a few things that made me wonder.  The haircuts were one.  All the pictures I have seen from WWII have 'short back and sides', only seen on a few here.  The lack of helmets, when there are plenty to spare, and none of the commanding officers even passing comment seemed very out of place - where had the discipline gone.

All these things said, it works as a film.  It engaged me and kept me engaged throughout.  The characterisations worked at that level, which is all that can be asked.  It certainly portrayed the story and gave the basic historical facts.

As war films go, it is among the best, and well worth the long drive to Burnham to see it.  It is not easy viewing though and I'm not sure if survival at the end is victory or relief.

No comments: