Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

I'd heard good and bad things about The Last Jedi, so I went with an unusual sense of anticipation.  In some senses I was not disappointed.  There is plenty of Star Wars type action, there are the familiar characters, and some new ones.  Not yet having seen "The Force Awakens", I may have missed a few of the on-going story lines, but the Star Wars universe appears to be consistent - very important for me in a series of films like this.
I did think that perhaps the ebb and flow of the rebels verses the empire was getting a bit predictable.
That aside there are several other stories going on.  They are also familiar parts of the Star Wars series.  The young Jedi (female this time, a requirement in 2017) refuses to take the advice of her trainer and goes her own way.  This may or may not have been disastrous.  There is also a love story involving turning a Jedi from the dark side.
The special effects are good, but if they weren't it wouldn't be Star Wars, the action sequences are long and detailed which is great, but ...
It didn't feel enough like a Star Wars film.  There was just too much poking fun at itself - rather like a Roger Moore Bond film it just wasn't quite serious enough.
However, I enjoyed it and would recommend you see it if this is your sort of film.  If you're a proper Star Wars fan you will have seen it already, more than once.  Let me know what you thoughts.

No comments: