Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Saturday, November 09, 2019

An Encounter with a Book

Preached at Christ church, Billericay on 27 October 2019 @ 10am (Bible Sunday)

Reading: Psalm 119v129-136, 2 Timothy 3v14-17

I used to read a book in preference to a news paper on the train to work. It’s easier to manage and more entertaining, but you do have to be a bit careful if the book is very funny. Laughing out loud just outside Barking is not a good move. I kept up with the news and current affairs by listening to the radio.

Books I’ve read

I’ve read quite a lot of books, I suppose. For example, the entire Sherlock Holmes series and The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle, many of Agatha Christie’s Poirot books, Terry Pratchet’s Disk World series, and lots of science fiction – from Jules Verne to Isaac Asimov, and all the James Bond books. I also enjoy reading books in the cottages we visit on holiday, it was on one of those occasions that I read Pride and Prejudice and on another I discovered Dr. Thorndyke by R. Austin Freeman. Dr Thorndyde is a Victorian detective and what we would now call a forensic scientist. There’s lots more besides those, and I’m not going to spend the morning listing books.

Encounter with a book

Every book that I have read, has had some effect on me, but reading Sherlock Holmes has not turned me into a great detective, although I’m sure the children would have got away with a lot more if those stories hadn’t encouraged me to look closely at the evidence. And reading the Poirot stories has not turned me into a Belgian.

Stories

Stories, even fictional ones, have an effect on our thinking and therefore on the way we live our lives. We are fortunate to live in a culture where so much literature is so easily available and where we have been given the skills to interact with it.

Reference Books

Of course, I’ve also spent a lot of time reading reference books. I remember many Saturday mornings in the local library with my head in various encyclopedias madly scribbling notes for some homework assignment. That was some very reluctant reading, but it has served me well. Later, at work, before the internet there was always a library of reference books that I had to know my way around, and dip in and out of as was required. It you couldn’t figure it out from the book, you couldn’t figure it out.

Bible

There is one book that I encountered that had a role in changing my life though – its not really a book, but a collection of books – the Bible. In many ways it is the strangest book I have ever engaged with. We say that it has all the answers, that it tells us how God wants us to live, and it does. But you can’t go to the index and look up Sin, then reference all the entries to find out what you’re not supposed to do. And yet that is how we use it a lot of the time. I remember sitting in the Coach and Horses discussing all sorts of things and Jim flicking through his Bible like some great encyclopedia, and finding and reading short passages. Even they needed explanation! It was far from straight forward.

Bible’s story

The Bible’s books tell the story of God’s people through three important events. The first is their rescue from slavery in Egypt and their arrival in the promised land. The second is their exile from the promised land at the hands of the Babylonians and the promise of a saviour. The third is the arrival of the saviour – Jesus, and his death and resurrection.
Each of these events is recorded and reflected on as the people try to understand what is happening to them and how God is guiding them.

Exile

It was the exile that led to the creation of the books in the first place. The people were in fear that they would lose touch with their God in a foreign land so the memories from the oral tradition were finally recorded.
Nothing, absolutely nothing was left out. No attempt was made to gloss over their failings, they were happy to admit them and record them, from their wilful disobedience to their love of the Lord. Everything.
Over the period of a couple of centuries following the exile the word Torah changes from meaning ‘teachings’ to meaning ‘the writings’i, and the Jews have become the people of the book.

Ps 119

We get a small snippet of their love and desire for their God in the verse of Psalm 119 that was read today:
Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.
Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees.
Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.

Torah – God’s word.

The Torah, or Pentateuch are the words that the psalmist is referring to. These words carry a power which is far greater than the simple text, because these words are the words of God.

2 Tim

In our new testament reading the holy Scriptures that Paul refers to is much more similar to our Old Testament. Paul says that the scriptures make you wise for salvation through faith in Jesus. All Scripture, he says (and we would now include his letters and the rest of the New Testament in all Scripture), is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

Rebuking

Teaching is fairly obvious, I think, but perhaps rebuking is less so. When did you last receive a rebuke from Scripture? It simply means that something you read made you realise that you had sinned – gone against God’s word, and that you need to repent. An old meaning of rebuke is something that makes you turn back. Repentance would set you back on the right path.

God-breathed

Paul says that Scripture is God-breathed. It is God’s words, not man’s. That doesn’t mean that it was dictated by God as some would have us believed, the process is more sophisticated than that. 2 Peter 1:21 gives us a clue: “For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”

Inspired

You may be thinking we should use the word ‘Inspired’ rather that God-breathed, although that is the literal translation. Tom Wright in his commentary say there is a problem with our understanding of the word ‘Inspired’. Sometimes it simply means exceptional, as in ‘an inspired performance’. Sometimes it implies some sort of spiritual force took over, for example when we talk about inspired poetry. This just takes us back to the dictation approach that I mentioned earlier. The authors of Scripture were not “God’s typewriter”. Sometimes ‘it’s inspired’ means that it fits my theology perfectly, and therefore I can claim something for my theology that is not Biblical.
God-breathed, on the other hand, does not imply any of these things, it only implies that the message comes from God.

Correcting and training

Correcting and training in righteousness are also, I think, quite obvious. After my many discussions in the pub, I eventually became a follower of Jesus. From that point on I have often needed my world view corrected by the Bible.

Effect of reading Scripture

In 2011 Christianity Today reported on a study of the effect of reading scriptureii. Here’s a very quick summary:
  • Those who read scripture more often are more likely to:
  • say it is important to actively seek social and economic justice
  • say it is important to consume fewer goods
  • see less of a conflict between science and religion
  • dis-approve of same-sex marriages
That helps me to understand Hebrews 4:12:
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Read more

The implication is that we should read our bibles more often and for longer. There are several ways to do this, there are plenty of Bible reading plans available, some in paper form and some available electronically, and you will need a good Bible, of course.

Which Bible

Premier Christian Radio had a Facebook poll recently that asked whether it is important which version of the Bible you read. I don’t remember the figures for the result, except that I was in the minority, in that I think it is very important.
Now, I don’t much care which version you read, so long as it’s one that you can understand easily. I didn’t like the trend a few years ago to return to the Authorised Version. The language is far too out of date, and while it is undoubtedly beautifully put together, it is too difficult for day-to-day use 400 years on. So pick a recent(ish) modern translation, or something that is close to it, so that you can understand easily what you read. That’s the most important thing, then you will have no excuse for not obeying it’s commands.

Home Groups

We can, and should read the Bible in private and in Public. I spent 3 years reading from cover to cover on the train many years ago. We should also read in small groups, where we can study it a little more deeply. At Christ Church, we call these Home Groups. I’ve been in a Home Group for most of my time here and in that time we’ve covered many books, including Revelation, and recently we’ve just finished Isaiah. Both of those were quite challenging, quite though provoking and well worth the effort.

Conclusion

So as I wrap up this Bible Sunday sermon, I will tell you that the most influential book of all time, has also been the most influential book I have encountered so far.
If you’d like to know more, I’d love to hear from you.
Let me leave you with two Bible verses:

Isaiah 40:8

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.

Romans 15:4

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

i https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/news/when-was-the-hebrew-bible-written/

No comments: