Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Sermon: Happy Christmas Everybody

Preached 24 December 2019 23:15 at Christ Church, Billericay

Purpose: How to give everyone a happy Christmas

Readings Isaiah 52v7-10; John 1v1-14

It’s Christmas


It’s Christmas, well that’s what we still hear Noddy Holder shouting when we turn on the radio. It’s God’s little joke that I have limited voice today, although I was never going to shout like Noddy.
The song paints a picture of everybody having fun, even gran joins in with the dancing and everyone being just a little over the top. There’s mention of the family being together and no doubt he was singing to young adults and children. But Christmas is not always like that, at the other extreme is Den Watts, in East Enders, handing his wife Angie the divorce papers on Christmas day. I hope your Christmas will be better than that, better than either of those pictures in fact.

Babies in Stables etc.

We’re used to the Christmas story of the Virgin Mary giving birth to a baby and having to stay outside because there’s no space for her in the Inn. We’re used to the story of Angels and Shepherds and the tough conditions they worked in. Even the lowest of the low go to worship the messiah, having received a message of peace and good will from God and the joy that brings.
Our Old Testament reading also tells us of the joy that comes from the message of peace.
We’re used to the story of wise men visiting the child and leaving significant gifts. The highest of the high go to worship the messiah. We may remember that they had to avoid Herod on the way back. We may also remember his murderous threats and the flight to Egypt to keep the baby safe.
The bible manages to top the story lines of East Enders any day, and the Bible stories are truth.

John’s Approach

Those are good stories but they are human stories told from a human point of view – that’s the sort of thing we engage easily with. John’s introduction that we have just heard takes a different approach. John already knows who the baby is and he is not going to introduce Jesus like that. John starts from the very beginning and echoes the book of Genesis.
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth ...” it says, but John tells us that before even that was the Word. And the Word was with God and the Word was God. And that Jesus was the agent of creation. So straight away we are told that Jesus is divine and is the creator.

The mission

Then we get straight into the mission. Jesus is life and that life is the light of men. John the baptist was sent to point people to the light, and he did, but even so the people did not recognise their creator.
To the few that did He gave the right to become children of God.

v14

In the last verse we read, John sums up this part of his introduction:
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Grace

Grace is not a behaviour that we talk about a great deal today. So here’s an example of what I’m talking about. I work in I.T. Many years ago I was trying to fix a problem and went about it completely the wrong way. As a result the mainframe computer was down for about an hour in the middle of the day. I knew better, I just didn’t do it. I probably deserved to be disciplined, but all my manager said was “You know what you’ve done, right?” and that was it. I even got a pay rise at the end of the year. And that is grace. I was allowed to continue my work with out penalty when one was deserved, I was given what I really didn’t deserve.

God’s grace

God’s grace is much greater than that. We fail to live up to His standards all the time, and yet He still gives us good things – look around you, not just here but in the world outside this church too. He also took the trouble to wipe out our failings once and for all. That is why Jesus came and took on flesh, initially as a baby, but later as a man who was fully obedient to God, and died on the cross for us.
That is the real good news of Christmas, the saviour – Jesus, the light of humanity – has come.

Glory

His glory is his act of redemption, his death for our sins and his resurrection on Easter Sunday. That is the hope we have at Christmas, the hope that more of the world will be redeemed and that the world will become a better, more peaceful, more loving place.

Our Happy Christmas

So, when I wish you a happy Christmas (I’m going to stick with happy in preference to merry because I don’t want to imply that you should be consuming too much alcohol)
When I wish you a happy Christmas that is what I am hoping and wishing for – for all of you and for everyone that I say it to. A Christmas where even if you gran doesn’t enjoy the latest music she can be up and rock and rolling, perhaps on her own, but still having a good time.

Our Part

We can play our part in that. For me that is not becoming a DJ (I’d be terrible at it), my part is responding to every situation that occurs with grace and love – so imitating our saviour. I’m going to try that.


Happy Christmas Everybody

References:
http://ntwrightpage.com/2016/03/29/full-of-grace-and-truth/
https://www.gty.org/library/topical-series-library/245/the-best-of-christmas
http://www.stgeorgesunited.com/blog/2015/12/28/sermon-full-of-grace-and-truth-december-24th-2015

https://genius.com/Slade-merry-xmas-everybody-lyrics
https://www.family-times.net/illustration/Grace/
http://www.moreillustrations.com/Illustrations/grace%203.html

No comments: