Some of my more detailed reviews - books, films, theatre trips, software etc. I will also post the text of some of my sermons here.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Christ Church weekend away

I'm going to post all my comments etc. here, and will update it as we get closer.
http://www.cct.org.uk/highleigh/

Thursday 11 May
The weekend starts here!!
I have picked up the mini bus for the church weekend. Its another level up in technology from anything I've driven before. It is diesel and automatic which is also a new combination for me, the automatic is also button driven, which is another first. Fortunately it has a steering wheel, a throttle pedal, and a brake pedal - these I know about! To start it you have to have you foot on the brake pedal before you turn the key. That slowed me down quite a bit. When I got home it was too long to park outside the house, so its parked down the road. I'll get a picture for you sceptics later.

I finished work early (ish), and have enjoyed working from home on this lovely day. I have lots to do, and Jo is asking where the directions are. I have lots of other little things to prepare and almost the whole of tomorrow to do it in.


Friday 12 May
What a foolish person, to set out assuming that I knew where I was going and the the map, which showed the whole route in a 5cm square, would be adequate. The M25 was a car park – especially at the junction of the A10. The exits was closed, so we had to go on to the next junction and back through the jam on the other side!. On nearing the conference centre I realised that the directions we had came from somewhere else! “Quite by chance” we happened on the right road and followed the directions to the centre without further incident.

There was a small amount of time to walk around the grounds, and sit in silence – proper silence. Silence you can hear! Simon and Garfunkel were right!


Friday 12 May – Evening Meeting.
Philippians 2:1-18

The reading for the evening- Philippians 2 again (4th time in about 6 weeks I've been asked to read it, or study it). Steven talked about the Philippians being split, some wanting to go backward towards Judaism, and others wanting to go forward, leaving the physical behind and pursuing the spiritual only. This passage is Paul's antidote to both of those approaches. There was of course lots more to this, but I was trying to get into the spirit of things, take notes, observe the church, and was thinking of those I'd left behind. Here are some other good one liners that I recorded. Oh yes, and trying to spot the matches and contradictions to the sermon I preached last week.

We are not always thankful for everything, but we are always thankful for God

Its how we deal with each other when we disagree

Stephens wife then gave us the story of how she met with Jesus.

Share your story we were told. I didn't; I wonder who did?

Reflection

A good start, everyone appreciates Stephens leadership style, and his easy going personal approach to preaching. I wanted to speak, I felt I had loads to say, but I had a job to do. The reading – and that was all.


Saturday 13 May AM

Joshua 3:14-17

Crossing the Jordan on dry land to take possession of the promise.

There are two ways to react to this passage

“thats not my experience of water:
it doesn't do that
or
isn't God great."

Genesis answers the question “Why are things the way they are today”. This is remarkably

similar to the first Christian studies course I did some 12-13 years ago. It's a helpful approach, you can bet the author didn't have 20th century physics in mind when he wrote the words.

Joshua 4:1-9
12 men, 12 stones.

The stones are there to prompt the question “What do these stones mean?” so that we can tell the story of Joshua and his entry in the promised land.



There's loads more, but not time to write it just now.... check bak later

No comments: